Thursday, April 19, 2007

Phunk the Climate

Earlier this week, Lee made a quick visit to the District; he was on short-term loan from Cambodia and the Clinton Foundation HIV/AIDS Initiative.

Triggered by the presence of a real live person direct from Asia, I had the most brilliant idea I'd had in literally (literally!) tens of hours. That's right, fair readers. I have at my disposal the solution to all of our energy needs: We need to build an enormous warehouse in which tens of thousands of otherwise unemployable children spend 14-hour days shuffling their stockinged-feet on the world's largest carpet. Hello, renewable energy! Goodbye, dirty, global warming-causing fossil fuels! Why hasn't anyone thought of this before?

In any event, I wanted to show my visitor just how scenester-y I am, so I took him to The Red & The Black, a bar on H St. NE, the kind of neighborhood where one realizes that deforestation isn't confined to the Amazon Basin. We were there to see Jon Braman play the ukulele and rap. (Jon, loyal readers, works for an environmental consulting group which sublets office space from my firm. His upcoming album is entitled "Climatastrophunk.") Needless to blog, it was awesome; the nine or so of us in attendance had a delightful time of it.

The next day at work, Jon thanked me for coming to the show, especially in light of the official paid attendance that left something to be desired. I told him, as I told you like three sentences ago, that the whole affair was an exercise in being a scenester - things are only cool if you're the only one who knows about them. "That's why you have to keep the crowds small," I told Jon. "I've got that taken care of," he replied.

2 comments:

Barrett said...

there are scenesters in dc? dc has a scene?

Lee said...

Thanks for the shoutout! I had a grand ol' time during my short stay in DC. Even as tired and unperceptive as I was at the time, I belieive that Jon's Climatastrofunk created quite a scene (in an amazing, amazing way).